httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Koen Vingerhoets" <koen.vingerho...@ubench.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] RotateLogs
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 13:01:05 GMT
Hi!

with the help of users on this list, I managed to write a vbs scripts that
- rotates logs
- mails the most recent log file
- runs as a scheduled task
If you want it, just gimme a ring (or mail ;)

Koen

-----Original Message-----
From: William A. Rowe, Jr. [mailto:wrowe@rowe-clan.net]
Sent: 23 January 2003 04:01
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Cc: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] RotateLogs

At 08:47 PM 1/22/2003, Ladislav Sedivy wrote:
>Selmer Ausland wrote:
>>
>> NP Ladislav, I had to #
>>
>> # CustomLog "|D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe D:/logs/access_log 86400"
>> common
>> # TransferLog "|D:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe D:/logs/access_log 86400"
>>
>> and revert back to
>>
>> CustomLogs logs/access.log common
>>
>> Access log was not working at all with the above.
>>
>> Is this a bug in Apache 2.0.44? or ?????
>>
>> Error log portion works. Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks. Selmer
>
>These are exactly my findings.  I even rebuilt rotatelogs.exe from
>2.0.43 sources to no avail.  It definitely looks like a bug in 2.0.44
>server.  I'm just surprised nobody mentioned it yet.

Theory:

The logging code now trys to lock the resource (file) to prevent the
parent and child process (or multiple child processes, when we get
there) from overwriting one another's entries.

I say trys because I'm not certain what exactly will happen when that
resource is a pipe and not a file.

Researching.

Bill