httpd-users mailing list archives

From "H. Carter Harris" <carter-li...@technettn.net>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts ?
Date Thu, 02 Jan 2003 03:55:58 GMT
Thanks Owen; I think we are getting to what's behind door #2.

Here is the plan:  I am currently hosting about a dozen domains on an IIS
server but I want to move them to apache and linux.  So, I will be hosting
more than one domain.  IIS calls them host headers and processes them the
same way apache does.

If I am understanding this correctly, I should be able to do this with a
<VirtualHost> block for each domain and setting the ServerName to the domain
name.  Apache is listening on 192.168.1.103:80 and should use the host
header in each request to resolve to the correct directory on the linux box.

Though I didn't say it specifically, you read between the lines.  Later I
will be moving a couple of other domains to the linux box as well and they
will require certs.  Then I will add some public ip addresses and try to
configure apache to handle some ip based virtual hosting for me as well.
Everything I read tells me this is possible.

I am really enjoying learning about apache and open source.  My goal right
now is to get to where I can contribute back soon.  Thanks for your response
... it is appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: J. Greenlees [mailto:jaqui@shaw.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2003 9:33 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Virtual Hosts ?

from reading this thread, I can see that you are combining both name
based and ip based virtual hosting. ( default is ip based )

the clearest description I have seen of both forms was from Owen Boyle.

"
There are two ways you can go - depending on whether you want to declare
many aliases for your IP in DNS...

(1) If you do not mind paying for many Domain-Names which resolve to
your IP, then:

Use Name-based VirtualHosts, like this (assume your IP = 192.168.1.1 and
your sites are called www.site1.com, www.site2.com etc..):

	NameVirtualHost 192.168.1.1

	<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
	  ServerName www.site1.com
	  DocumentRoot /home/site1/html
	  ... etc.
	</VirtualHost>

	<VirtualHost 192.168.1.1>
	  ServerName www.site2.com
	  DocumentRoot /home/site2/html
	  ... etc.
	</VirtualHost>

(2) Alternatively, if you can have only one Domain Name, use Aliases to
separate the document roots, e.g. (assuming your FQDN is www.mysite.com)

	Listen 192.168.1.1
	ServerName www.mysite.com
	DocumentRoot /home/default/html

	Alias /site1 /home/site1/html
	<Directory /home/site1/html>
	  Allow from all
	</Directory>

	Alias /site2 /home/site2/html
	<Directory /home/site2/html>
	  Allow from all
	</Directory>

Now http://www.mysite.com/site1 will go to /home/site1/html etc. NB
/home/default/html is necessary - this is where www.mysite.com ends up
(you can just put a simple page there with links to the other sites).

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

"

hope this helps you puzzle out where it's not working for you.