httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] VirtualHost problem
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:37:16 GMT
Please post in plain text...

A few points of misunderstanding:

- There is no such thing as a "DirectoryRoot". There is ServerRoot which
is where the apache installation lives (e.g. /usr/local/apache), there
is DocumentRoot which is where the content starts for each virtual host
(e.g. /home/www/site1) and there is <Directory> which is a container
used to apply certain directives to a particular directory.

I think you mean "DocumentRoot"...

- SSL is not implemented on a per-directory basis. It is a different
protocol which encapsulates HTTP. It can only be applied on a virtual
host basis. Usually, you set up port-based VHs, e.g.

Listen 192.168.0.1:80
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:80>
  DocumentRoot /home/www/plain-http
</VirtualHost>

Listen 192.168.0.1:443
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.1:443>
  DocumentRoot /home/www/ssl-stuff
  SSLCertificateFile /path/to/cert etc.
</VirtualHost>

While you can have many plain HTTP VHs on the same IP/port (name-based
VHs), you can only have one SSL VH per IP/port. If you need more than
one, you need more IPs or to use different ports.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle