httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] SSL on ports other than 443
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2003 10:14:45 GMT
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Michael Warwick [mailto:mwarwick@stwgtn.co.nz]
>Sent: Donnerstag, 30. Januar 2003 20:19
>To: users@httpd.apache.org
>Subject: RE: [users@httpd] SSL on ports other than 443
>

>I have switched back to 443
>
>https://my-server/ works

Good.

>https://my-server:443/ works

Also good. Adding the port number is harmless but redundant - the "https" protocol uses 443
by default and your browser knows this.

>https://192.168.1.1:443/ works

Ditto.

>https://203.97.81.1/ works

For apache, this is equivalent to case #1.  The fact that my-server works means DNS is OK
too.

>But when I switch to 444 or 1443
>
>https://my-server/ doesn't work

Can't work - https = 443 so the browser is knocking on the wrong door (port no.).

>https://my-server:444/ doesn't work

Should work... can't be DNS because port 443 version works fine. Must be the port number...

>https://192.168.1.1:444/ works

Should work and it does - therefore good.

>https://203.97.81.1/ doesn't work

Can't work - as per case #1.

Didn't you try https://203.97.81.1:444/ ? My guess is it would NOT work. If so, I would guess
there is some firewall or router or other widget blocking non-standard ports like 444.

>I have discovered another firewall, installed upstream, by our
>ISP which may be part of the problem.

Aha! If packets using the IP address have to go back via the ISP then this could be it.

>Apache seems fine. The DNS is externally
>hosted and seems fine.

Agreed.

>OT anyone know a good web based port scanner that will let me test a
>specific ports?

Don't know a web-based one, but try "telnet my-server 444"...