httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Individual . ." <individ...@mi.cl>
Subject [users@httpd] [newbie] Question about 406, content negotiation and "no language"
Date Sat, 01 Feb 2003 03:10:29 GMT
Hi.

I have subscribed to this list in order to slowly further my limited
knowledge about Apache.

If this post is generally considered to be too basic, I will be happy
to try it on another list, perhaps more oriented towards beginners,
that may be suggested to me.

The situation is this: My Mac OS X 10.2.3 box is running Apache 1.3.27.
I host a few sites under one umbrella URL, all created and maintained
by yours truly. I offer both english and spanish versions of the pages.

I have done this by making the english file's filename end in .en
(foo.html.en, for example), and the same for spanish, with es.

Requesting http://myserver/foo.html works fine, content negotiation
does it's job, and all is well.

That said, however, I have noticed a few 406 errors in my access_log,
and it seems that the user's browser was configured to accept only one
language (fr in my case).

 From reading the Apache documentation, ( specifically
<http://www.goldvision.com/us/en/manuals/apache/content-
negotiation.html#nolanguage>) it seems that I may have to create an
extra file for each foo.html.* that exists on my server, perhaps called
foo.html.html to make content negotiation kick in and send that when no
acceptable file is found for the user's language prefs.

My question is this: will I have to make many, many new files
containing the default language for the site, and call them
foo.html.html? Or is there a better way to let users who have set their
browsers to be french-exclusive, for example, get the right page, and
not a 406 error?

Thanks in advance.

Paul