httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] configuration..:(
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:18:08 GMT
Ben Sewell wrote:

>Ok Jerry, I did the command you said (apache -n apache2 -k install), but I
>got some error.
>
>syntax error on line 969 of C:\Program Files\Apache
>Group\Apache2\conf\httpd.conf:
>DocumentRoot takes one arguement, root directory tree

Your configuration syntax checker is telling you that the DocumentRoot
alias is not syntactically correct.  I don't know which directory is
commonly used on legacy systems, but on my Debian/Linux box the line
reads:

DocumentRoot /usr/local/lib/www  	# Of course, use your path, not
												# mine.  :)

This tells Apache where the base of the directory tree is for your
document files.  Thus, a request for http://yourdomain.com/ will serve
up the index file at the actual directory given in "DocumentRoot".  / is
expanded to /usr/local/lib/www/...

>any ideas?
>PS: Prehaps use personal email messages since nobody else seems to have this
>problem? :/

Unless the traffic gets personal, it's better to keep it on the list.
There are others who will benefit from the Q&A even if you never hear of
it.  Those references I posted earlier will explain more fully.

--
gt                  kk5st@sbcglobal.net
 If someone tells you---