httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Lagore, James (Contractor)" <Lago...@ritchie.disa.mil>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] apache down itself
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 16:53:53 GMT
My experience has been that apache restart does not always work properly
meaning I don't use it anymore. I always do a stop and then a start to
remove the doubt. Also did your machine reboot for some reason and maybe
there is something not quite right in restarting apache from a boot in your
files.

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Pavel S. Khmelinsky [mailto:hmepas@yauza.ru]
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 11:18 AM
To: users
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] apache down itself

Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Pavel S. Khmelinsky wrote:
>

>>Then I wake up this morning I found my apache down:
>>ps -A | grep httpd
>>*empty*
>>
>>The last log message in the error_log:
>>[Thu Jan 17 04:02:01 2003] [notice] SIGHUP received.  Attempting to
restart
>>But I didn't send SIGHUP or any *HUPs.
>>The message from another logs are more earlier than 04:02:01.
>>

>>My apache rpm version is 1.3.22-5.7.1. My system is RedHat 7.1 with some
>>

>Redhat's log rotation scripts will certainly restart apache after moving
>the log.
>
>Joshua.

Ok. Thanx! You are right.
But why apache not up after recieving SIGHUP?
This command I found in /etc/logrotate.d/apache:
/bin/kill -HUP `cat /var/run/httpd.pid 2>/dev/null`
But when I start it by hand apache is successfuly restarted.
And logrotate running every day, but apache is downed only one time in
many months.
Why sometimes it may not working?

P.S.: Sorry my English.