httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] linux hosting (ot)
Date Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:15:51 GMT
I have no idea where you are, but I am - and not for the first time - setting up my development
server as a web server which will be more than ample for our needs while we launch the site
and go through extensive beta testing.

All I have incurred in cost is a monthly charge of CAD45 for 2 static IP numbers which are
then pointed to by our registered URLs. High speed ADSL is CAD40. The system sits behind a
Linksys router and will serve a couple of 'virtual hosts'.

FWIW, I am using Mandrake 9, updated with cooker. I use sendmail, Apache2 and - after loving
the look but hating the lack of speed - removed KDE and use Gnome as our desktop. My graphics
partner got into GIMP and won't look back. The ONLY software on the system not normally found
is C-ISAM for speed of data base handling in a C environment and afio from a Mandrake contrib
mirror which is my preferred choice for dat backups.

Once the 'fear of the unknown' works its way out, you not only save heaps but also have full
control. When you need to colocate as volumes rise, it becomes an easy thing to do and an
easy thing to update the colocation system from your own because everything is already in
place at your end.

Hope that helps provide a bit of a positive spin for you.

"George"

>Hi Ryan,
>
>well to host it yourself might be REALLLLLLLY, REALLLLLLLY expensive, because you need
a dedicated line to where you put your server. You could also colocate it, but that will be
rather expensive as well.
>What kind of application are you looking for? There might be some companies that might
host your application on their server, which will be shared between you and other customers.

>Jurgen
>

>On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 06:42:45 +0100
>"Ryan A" <r@jumac.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I am just very curious, I was going to buy an application but then the developer
told me i would need dedicated hosting for that app, then i went on the net and i see dedicated
hosting is REALLLLLLLY expensive...

>> my question is this:
>> with the same money it costs me a year of dedicated hosting (around 2000$) wouldnt
it be cheaper if i bought a server,loaded linux and host the damn site myself?

>> I am sure its not that simple so can you gurus tell me what i'm missing please?
>>
>> Also any links to see the a-z of setting up a web server would be appreicated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> -Ryan.

George Walsh,
Managing Director,