httpd-users mailing list archives

From gjmwa...@netscape.net (George Walsh)
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache 2.0 on Linux
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:27:02 GMT
I have been messing with Apache 2.0 over the past 3 weeks or so, in my case under the Mandrake
9.0 ProSuite distro.

Nowhere have I run into a recommendation that any mpm other than prefork be used. Frankly,
I grew weary of trying to deal with software that includes this and that (maybe) but doesn't
clearly document any of it. Optimistically, I have decided to stop burning up hours trying
to discover what is going on and get on with creative application building which is my main
interest. Six months learning the ins and outs of 3 Linux distros is enough, more than enough.
I do not regret the learning curve, but it is time to move on. Oh yes, and for the record
I paid hard money for each one of them.

So .... I erased everything to do with Apache anything from the distro, grabbed Apache 2 from
the source, along with mod-perl, and everything is cool. Kudos to Mandrake for urpme!! I have
the benefit of added 'tools' in Apache 2 vs 1 and just the inclusion of mod_ssl and the ease
of building a DSO is worth it. When threads are finally sorted out, I'll be ready with a quick
tarball and recompile. Its fast, easy and clean. Maybe these thousands of rpms and their constant
updating is making us either lazy or too involved with procedures to appreciate applications.
That was most certainly my own error in judgement.

Here's to a personally rewarding year for all of us!

"George"

>Matt Simonsen wrote:
>> I have read that it is best to use the preforking version of Apache 2.0
>> on Linux until the 2.6 kernel comes out. Is this the accepted Apache
>> group recommendation, too?
>>
>> I couldn't find any definitive statement on this, although I did read
>> the docs. The best I got was that preforking is the default for Unix. I
>> assume this is because many Unixes do not do threading well (and I
>> understand Linux is one).
>unix, linux, irix.
>which version of linux were you taling about?
>red hat, mandrake, debian, free-bsd, gentoo...... ( very long list )
>every distribution has customised the *nix kernel to suit themselves.
>( mandrake has "supermount" and pcmcia and networking as part of the
>kernel. supermount is an automount for file systems, threading in the
>kernal is being worked on for inclusion in next release [ version 9.1 ]
>I think I saw somewhere ) red hat is closer to a stock unix kernel, as
>are gentoo, debian and free-bsd.
>
>for this type of question linux is not a clear enough description for a
>good answer. to many variables depending on what distribution you have. ;)
>

>> Also, do any of you have real world benchmarks? I wonder, too, if the
>> threaded will benefit even more from hyper-threading.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Matt
>>

>Jaqui

George Walsh,