httpd-users mailing list archives

From "David Tonhofer, m-plify S.A." <d.tonho...@m-plify.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Sapphire Virus and Mysql
Date Tue, 28 Jan 2003 12:46:19 GMT

--On Tuesday, January 28, 2003 4:20 AM -0800 "J. Greenlees" <jaqui@shaw.ca>
wrote:

> JawjB@aol.com wrote:
>> On saturday around 5 am GMT our system almost ground to a halt. Stopping
>> apache improved system performance but restarting apache then killed the
>> performance again. Typically entering the 'stop apache' command would
>> take 2  minutes to take effect.
>> Rebooting cleared all problems.
>> Now I have read abouot sapphire/sql slammer virus which was effectibe
>> worldwide at this time and the above problems and cure seems indicative
>> of it.

> while you were not vulnerable to the saphire/slapper virus,
> it was pinging on port 1434 to any sql servers it could find with a
> random url. mysql is an sql server.

So what??

a) MySQL contains code capable of parsing SQL. In that sense, it
   understands SQL, yes....but:

b) While MySQL contains a parser for SQL it certainly does not use the
   same protocol than MS-SQL server, i.e. a client will have to
   send a MySQL-specific byte sequence instead of an MS-SQL-specific
   byte sequence if it wants to get sevice on an UDP/TCP port.

c) MySQL is listening on TCP/UDP 3306 *not* UDP 1434, so it wouldn't even
   notice any Sapphire packet.