httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Chen, Karen" <KC...@WhiteRockNetworks.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] How to make Apache server to send request to an other web server
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:13:13 GMT

Sorry, I might be confusing anyone.  "4.1.7.1" is a private IP and IE on my
laptop has no knowledge at all.

What I am trying to ask is how to manange the connection on the Apache
server.
It need to translate the incoming url to this private ip, send the request
to "4.1.7.1" and gather the response back in a buffer and write it from the
Apache web server and back to the Internet Explorer on my laptop.

Thanks again.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Ramsey [mailto:robert-ramsey@uiowa.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 11:06 AM
To: KChen@WhiteRockNetworks.com
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] How to make Apache server to send request to
another web server

At 10:52 AM 1/24/2003,  Chen, Karen wrote:
>What I am trying to accomplish is when I start a Internet Explorer on my
>laptop and
>specify a URL as mydomain:80(this is where Apache server runs), I want
>something
>can convert this mydomain to a ip address e.g. "4.1.7.1" and send http
>request to that
>host.

What you seem to be talking about here is a dns entry for 4.1.7.1.  A
Domain Name Service (dns) entry is what converts www.google.com to
216.239.51.101.  You would apply to one of the many registration companies
for the domain name you want, assuming it isn't already in use.  That will
let anyone in the world type in http://www.mydomain.com and get to your
webserver.  If you don't want everyone in the world to be able to do this,
then you can alter the hosts file on your computer.  With a windows
computer this can be in several different places and names depending on
what version of windows you are running.  Do a search for hosts*.* and see
what comes up.  XP has an actual hosts file, older versions have
lmhosts.sam or something like that.  Most linux computers just use
/etc/hosts.  There are instructions in the file for what to do

bob

Bob Ramsey                                      Computer Consultant II
ph:  1(319)335-9956                              216 Boyd Law Building
fax: 1(319)335-9019                  University of Iowa College of Law
mailto:robert-ramsey@uiowa.edu                Iowa City, IA 52242-1113
For Hardware and Software questions, call 5-9124