httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Richardson <grichard...@watercove.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] cgi called from javascript line not working
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 21:15:55 GMT

> I didn't say rename, I said make mod_include work with
> .htm[l] files, there
> is a difference ;-)  You can make php parse .pl files if you
> really want to,
> and you can make mod_include parse .htm[l] files.  That would
> be a more
> lightweight solution than to use perl (IMO, of course).

Opps. My mistake. :-)

> When you view the source on the returned page, do you see
> anything where you
> should be seeing a copyright?  Is the copyright page setting a
> isn't a browser
> issue?  Does psinclude.cgi write to some div tag that is missing?

Well, since the exact same html file works on my web provider's site
and doesn't work on an apache site I set up (and I use the exact
same browser to look at both) I'm guessing it's not a browser issue,
but rather an issue with how I set up the local apache server. Also,
if I try IE5, IE6, Netscape 4.x, Netscape 6.x, or even Opera, I get
the same results - OK on http://www.cyberlights.com , but not OK on
my local server.

It's interesting how different browsers handle the "view source" command.
With IE I simply see

<script language="JavaScript"
src="/cgi-bin/psinclude.cgi?template=copyright.txt">
      </script>

whether it works or not. But with Netscape, on my website I see the actual
code that's in my copyright.txt file, but on my local server, where it
doesn't work, it just shows the <script>...</script> line you see above.

Another thing I tried was I purposely put a wrong filename in for
the template. Instead of template=copyright.txt I put in
template=foo.txt. The cgi script spits out an error when the template
isn't found. When I do this on my local server, I get no error, which is
making me think that this script isn't even being called.

Now, there's nothing in apache where I can enable/disable the running
of a javascript, right? That's all browser based. But is there something
that would deny me from running a CGI from within a javascript command?

-Gary