httpd-users mailing list archives

From Tim Thorburn <immor...@nwconx.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache 1.3.20 and .htpasswd
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:27:03 GMT
Hi,

I'm having some difficulties with a hosting company I've been stuck
with.  I have a site designed using PHP/MySQL and am now trying to put a
password on one of the directories.  Normally I do this using PHP and
Sessions, but for some unknown reason it's just not working and my client
is becoming increasingly bitter about this.

Awhile back I remember reading that Apache can create it's own password
protected directories using the htpasswd command.  Since I don't have shell
access to my hosting companies server, I tried this on a local test machine
- here is what I typed:

htpasswd -c /home/sites/site140/web/mcx/.htpasswd username

(I found the path by using phpinfo();)
I was then prompted to enter a password which I did.  I then uploaded the
.htaccess file to my host - yet it still does not work.  Do I need to
change any permissions on this file in order for it to become active?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

If it helps, here's a list of the mod's their version of Apache was
compiled with:
mod_casp2, mod_ssl, mod_php4, mod_setenvif, mod_unique_id, mod_auth,
mod_auth_pam_external, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_userdir,
mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_frontpage, mod_dir,
mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime,
mod_log_config, mod_define, mod_env, mod_perl, mod_so, http_core

Thanks
-Tim