httpd-users mailing list archives

From George Valpak <gval...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] George Valpack-->Re: [users@httpd] OT-Getting info and DAP etc clients
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:30:44 GMT
At 01:15 AM 1/12/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi,
>I am more of a PHP and java programmer, is learning PERL hard? or  can you
>give me a good resource on the web to learn perl and using the mod_perl
>module?

Perl's motto is "there is more than way to do it" so there isn't a good answer to "is it hard"
:)

I suggest starting at www.perl.org for general perl stuff, and www.apache.org for apache stuff
- there is extensive mod_perl help there.

I think you really are looking at apache issues so look up about the authentication/authorization
phases of the apache cycle.

I don't know the configuration of your server - mod_perl may or may not be installed. It gets
installed at apache build time, at least by me. apache.org can tell you if there is a way
to do otherwise, but I am not sure about if it is or not.

I also would suspect you can get similar abilities from mod_php which may or may not be installed.
I don't know the definitive source for info on that, but I do know there is a brand new php
cookbook from O'Reilley which might address using mod_php to access apache internals as mod_perl
does.

Googling "php apache authentication" might turn up some useful stuff. I don't think what I
described earlier strictly needs to be implemented in perl, just that is the world I come
from. You could probably do it in Java too - substitute java for php in that google suggestion.

GV