httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Using apache-ssl with apache 2.0.43
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:25:57 GMT

With apache 1.3, you could do one of two things:

- load SSL as a module to a slightly patched apache (mod_ssl)
- use a monolithic version of apache with SSL built-in (apache-ssl)

My understanding of the situation with apache 2.0 is that the API has
been extended to include the hooks to the openSSL libs and that mod_ssl
has been adopted as a standard module. So now if you want an SSL-aware
apache 2.0, you just select the module at compile-time (same as you
might select mod_proxy etc.). So it is no longer necessary to patch the
source and fetch the latest mod_ssl distro from www.modssl.org.

This tends to imply that apache-ssl has fallen by the wayside. In
principle, there is nothing to stop the apache-ssl team from taking the
apache 2.0 source and bolting on SSL support, as they did with 1.3, but
it seems this is not about to happen anytime soon.

The guy to ask about this is Ben Laurie
(http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html) since he wrote apache-ssl in the
first place!

Rgds,