httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] No access from external hosts specified in httpd.conf
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 10:49:04 GMT

This is a TCP/IP layer problem - the client machine (browser) has no
entry in its routing table for the server. It is resolving the IP
address OK, but does not know where to send the packets. Ping, telnet
and all other TCP/IP based applications will also fail.

"netstat -r" will show you your routing table. Probably you will have an
entry which sets default to some router. The problem could be that the
server is unknown to the router...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

> [...]
>Allow from all
>but still cannot access the server from the jpl.nasa.gov network.
>
>I have tried using BindAddress *  and also :  Listen "my ip address
>here":80
>with and without the port no (80) specified in listen and none has
>worked for
>external access. I currently have Listen specified. I also
>have the Port
>80 specified
>as the port to listen to.
>
>I used netstat -an | grep ".80 "  to find out if in fact it was
>listening and it seemed to be
>and I got ( server ip address removed):-
>
>"my server ip address here".80         *.*                0      0
>24576      0 LISTEN
>

>As I mentioned , in the  server conf file I have used  the allow from
>options to
>specify specific networks to allow. (See below). I have even tried
>specifying
>specific computers but with no luck.
>

>The following  has been extracted from my .config file:-
>
>--------------------------------
>[lots snipped ..]
>
><Directory "my document root here">
>    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews +Includes
>    AllowOverride None
>    Order deny,allow
>    Deny from all
>    Allow from met.ed.ac.uk
>    Allow from jpl.nasa.gov
>    Allow from 137.79.7
></Directory>
>
>[ more sniped here ...]
>
><Directory /eosmls/local/apache/htdocs>
>  AllowOverride none
>  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks +Includes
>  order deny,allow
>  deny from all
>  allow from ed.ac.uk 129.215.133 jpl.nasa.gov  137.79.7
></Directory>
>
>[ lots more snipped ...]
>--------------------------------
>
>If I change the allow from ed.ac.uk 129.215.133 jpl.nasa.gov  137.79.7
>to be separate allow from lines the error message from netscape changes
>to :-
>
>    "There was no response, the server may be down or not responding"
>

>I looked in the log files (error,custom) but found nothing useful. No
>error appears
>when the external host is unable to connect. I changed the LogLevel  to
>debug but
>still nothing useful... :-(
>

>Does anyone have any Ideas or suggestions of further things to look at
>or
>investigate.  I am a novice/newbie  with apache so I hope you can bear
>with me.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Regards, Archie
>

>--
> Archie MacDonald                    Email: archie@met.ed.ac.uk
> EOS MLS Research Associate          Phone: +44 131 650 5096
> Institute for Meteorology           WWW  :

views of the sender's company.