httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Boyle Owen" <Owen.Bo...@swx.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Anyone know how to configure XBitHack?
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 08:37:07 GMT
I'm having a slow morning so let's have one last bash at answering your
incredibly vague question:

- I assume you are trying to enable the parsing of server-side include
files (this is what XBitHack is for). If so, read on. If not - then
whoa... What are your trying to do?

- Did you read the tutorial on SSI in the docs? If so, do you understand
the bit about setting the execute bit on the files you want parsed? Did
you do this?

- Having set up the files with "chmod +x", you now need to activate
XBitHack with "XBitHack on" in httpd.conf and restart apache - did you
do this?

- The SSI handler will now parse any text/html files it finds which have
the execute bit set. However, you still need a couple of things to get
any result...

- The SSI files have to have an extension which maps to the mime-type
text/html. If they are .txt or .html and you haven't messed around with
mime.types then this should be OK. Do you understand this?

- The SSI files have to have some working SSI content. This is the
hardest part! It is quite possible to have everything configured
perfectly and yet for nothing to happen because there is a mistake in
the syntax of the SSI directives. Have you tried any content? What
problems did you have? Please post an example of your SSI content.

If you work through all of this, it will work for you.

Did you notice the amount of questions I had to pose in writing this
response? This is because I don't know a thing about you and only have
your one-line question to go on to judge your level of expertise. You
could have made this task much easier by taking the time to describe
what you were trying to achieve, what you'd done so far, what results
you obtained and what you felt the problem was.

I am taking the time to write to you at length because I think there is
enough unpleasantness in the world already and that it would be more to
the good if we could help you with problem than if you spiral off on
your own leaving hurt and insulted contributors in your wake. I
understand it is tempting to ask terse questions hoping for a verbose
answer, but if you think about it, it should be the other way around -
it is you who is seeking the favour and if you explain your problem
clearly, a terse answer may be all that's needed.

Please let me know how you get on.

Rgds,

Owen Boyle

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_include.html#xbithack.  It
> depends on the use.  All contexts are covered.
>

> >If you can help, great, if not - then please just don't bother
responding
at
> >all. Again. I apologize if I'm being abrupt here, but don't assume
that
> >because someone can't figure something out that they haven't read the
manual
> >or made an honest effort to get something to work.
>
> True.  On the other hand, you gave no evidence of your search, how you
> need to use it, nor what part(s) in the manual were proving too
> esoteric.
>
> Your initial post;
>
> To: "Apache" <users@httpd.apache.org>
> Subject: [users@httpd] Anyone know how to configure XBitHack?
> From: "Beauford.2003" <beauford.2003@rogers.com>
> Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:59:44 -0500
>
> TIA
>
> is unbelievably stupid.  You might read
> http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>

> --
> gt                         kk5st@sbcglobal.net
>   Nielsen's First Law of Computer Manuals:
> People don't read documentation voluntarily.

views of the sender's company.