httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Stone, Timothy" <tst...@cityofhbg.com>
Subject [users@httpd] seeking feedback on config + mod_rewrite v. mod_alias ?
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:42:12 GMT
List,

Here's my scenario:

I have two (2) machines listening on IPs in the following manner:

www0 - x.x.x.2
       x.x.x.4

www1 - x.x.x.1
       x.x.x.3

DNS is configured for round-robin load sharing as follows:

www.primaryName.com. IN A x.x.x.1
www.primaryName.com. IN A x.x.x.1
www.primaryName.com. IN A x.x.x.1

Each machine is running Apache 2.0.43 in the following manner:

ServerName www.primaryName.com:80

A single vHost is configured as follows:

#NameVirtualHost *

<VirtualHost x.x.x.4>
    ErrorLog logs/error_x4.log
</VirtualHost>

Now, one (1) vhost resides on this server. It acts as a round-robin DNS "load-sharing" server
and inherits *everything* from the global configuration except an error_log.
To complete this setup, I want all of the answering domain names to display in the client
as "http://www.primaryName.com"

I'm intending to accomplish this in the global configuration with:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule ^(.+)$ http://www.primaryName.com/$1 [R=permanent]

As I understand it this should work, but I have not tested it in production. This RewriteRule
should inherit to the vhost as well, correct?

Finally, I'm on the fence with using mod-redirect because of perceived overhead, and the documented
overhead, but I think it best fits my scenario. However, I'm thinking that mod-alias might
also work. I'm seeking feedback so... can mod-alias do this without the overhead?

Looking forward to hearing from the experiences of others. Thanks in advance for all suggestions
and comments.

Warmest Regards,
Tim