httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Tracking traffic to virtual hosts...
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2003 14:46:20 GMT
Sander Holthaus - Orange XL wrote:
> You could off course always write out access logs on a per Virtual Hosts
> basis. That's what I do, and depending on how much VH's you have, can be a
> lot faster in analyzing (if you would want to look at the information of a
> specific host)...

That's what I do too, but I do keep an eye on the number of virtual
hosts I have, cause each one has an error and a combined log, that is 2
file handles for each virtual host.  There is a finite number of file
handles that the kernel can have open at once.  It is usually around
1024.  So that limits you to about 500 virtual hosts in theory.  But
many other programs make use of file handles so the number could be
quite a bit lower in practice depending on what else you are doing with
the machine.

--
Chris