httpd-users mailing list archives

From Chris Meadors <clubn...@hereintown.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] disable virtual host
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:06:22 GMT
Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Hmm... Out of all the replies I've gotten, I think I like
> this one the best. Why?
>
> It's scriptable.

That's the reason I do it.

> I'd love to actually redirect visitors of said un-paid site
> to a pretty page explaining the situation, but in the end,
> I want to click a button and have 600 users cut off in a
> half second.

You could create a custom Forbidden error doc that does what ever you want.

> Granted, I COULD parse the virtual host file and insert a
> redirect or something when a user hasn't paid, but it's so
> much easier to just check and set directory permissions.

On my new server I may go about it differently.  My current machine is
probably a lot like your's, one flat file for all the Virtual hosts.
I've since discovered you can include a directory.  I plan on placing a
separate file for each Virtual host in an included directory.  Then I
can have these files modified by scripts when I add/delete an account,
or just turn them off for non-payment, I can also have scripts that turn
on and off available options for the hosting accounts.

I don't plan on parsing the files, I'll just write a new one with the
appropriate settings.  I'll store the current settings in a separate
file (or as comments at the start of the included file) in a format that
is easier for me to parse in a shell script.

--
Chris