httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anthony Cunningham <anthony...@om.asahi-kasei.co.jp>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Apache returns 404 not found for non ascii filenames with Java Plugin.
Date Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:26:59 GMT
I don't know if you are using java for it (java is where I have the problem) but
here are a few ideas I don't have time to try at the moment:
If you think some may help your situation please try them and if they work I'd
be grateful if you could let me know.

My boss found a setting in IE (in japanese) that said something like always send
URL in UTF-8.
Java has a decodeurl and encodeurl static class and method.
>From java 1.4 you can specify the language encoding of the URL.

I tried it on java 1.3 which doesn't let you specify the encoding and it encoded
the ":" in http:// to %<some number> and then Java's URL class said it wasn't a
valid URL.  I didn't have time to experiment further.

I have yet to try just encoding the japanese filename and then appending that to
"http://somehost/somedir/".
I also plan to try encoding using different language encodings but have to
upgrade to Java SDK 1.4 for that.

its on the back burner at the moment but when I check some of those ideas and if
I get it working I'll let you know.

anthony.