httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] linux vers win2k pro
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:38:02 GMT
which version of apache do you want to use?
Mandrake just released a security fix for apache 2.
"
*** {03.01.001} Linux - Update {02.40.013}: Apache host name CSS, ab
		overflow and shared memory vulnerabilities

Mandrake released updated Apache packages, which fix the
vulnerabilities discussed in {02.40.013} ("Apache host name CSS,
ab overflow and shared memory vulnerabilities").

Updated RPMs are listed at the reference URL below.

Source: Mandrake
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/linux/mandrake/2002-q4/0350.html
"

using the rpm is much simpler than building manually.

the process is simple enough to build manually, if you know what
configure options you want.
adding perl/python support is more difficult, as you have to build them
also during the apache build process.

to add users and upload you simply add them to the user list in linux.
making sure they are given ftp rights. ( add each to group ftp )
then set the document root for the ftp server to match your webserver's
document root, including user-dir, they will then be able to log in with
an ftp client and upload, with only access to thier websapce.

very simple, the configuration for the ftpd server that comes with
mandrake ( Proftpd ) only need the document root setting altered,
everything else works fine.

to build apache open a console window in the directory where you
unpacked the sources, and type :
./configure --options/you/want
once that finishes type:
./make