httpd-users mailing list archives

From Greg Baumgartel <gbaum...@qmail.qwest.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Directory index forbidden by rule
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 23:17:41 GMT
Boyle Owen wrote:
> [...]

Okay, this was possibly part of my problem here, as I tried this in one
place (having a relative path rather than a full path) but probably not the
place where it needed to be.  There's at least 4 or 5 virtual servers
configged in the httpd.conf, and I think I originally tried it in one of
the wrong ones.

>>    Options +Indexes
>

> 	This is OK - do you understand that the "+" adds this option to
> any options inherited from a higher directory? It does no harm, but it
> might not be necessary.

Yes, I did understand that, and now that I have it fixed the fact that not
using the + came into play.

There was another directive I eventually found in httpd.conf:

<Directory /directory/I/want/to/index>
      Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

Which removed all options for that except ExecCGI, and Indexing is off by
default.  By adding 'Indexes' to ExecCGI, it now works.  That also explains
why other directories on the server we wanted indexed weren't having any
problems whatsoever.  Thanks for the pointers, I think it helped track down
the problem.

>>    AllowOverride Indexes
>

> 	This says that you allow directives to do with
> directory-indexing in a .htaccess file. Do you have a .htaccess file in
> the directory? I suspect not since you have a <Directory> container
> defined. Note that .htaccess and <Directory> are two different ways of
> doing the same thing - applying directives to a directory. It is not
> usually necessary to mix the two mechanisms (to put it another way, mix
> them only if you really understand the pros and cons of each mechanism
> and have decided you have a real need to do so).

No, there were no .htaccess files, but I figured I could try putting one in
to see if it helped, if the httpd.conf configuration changes didn't work.
That way I didn't have to keep bouncing the server every time I wanted to
make a config change.  Ah well, I found the problem elsewhere, so all is
right with the world.

Thanks again....

Greg Baumgartel                                         (303) 226-9941
Qwest Information Technologies
Lead SW Development Engineer                  gbaumgar@qmail.qwest.net