httpd-users mailing list archives

From Anthony Cunningham <anthony...@om.asahi-kasei.co.jp>
Subject [users@httpd] Apache returns 404 not found for non ascii filenames with Java Plugin.
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 09:10:00 GMT
I searched the archives and the web for this problem but was unable to
find a clear solution.
Basically the problem is as follows:

In our java applet it downloads images from the web server.  Recently we
have been experimenting with using Apache 2 on windows instead of IIS.
A lot of our images have japanese character filenames and/or japanese
character directory paths. ie. non-ascii.
Apache will return a 404 not found for these.

for example: (I can't write japanese with this mail client so I will use
capital letters to indicate japanese characters)
if the file is images/JA_NAME.jpg
then Apache returns 404 not found.
In the access log Apache shows a request for images/JA_NAME.jpg and a
404.  This file exists exactly as Apache wrote in the log.
If you enter images/ in the browser it lists all the files, including
images/JA_NAME.jpg.
Click on this and the browser will load
images/%e6%bc%a2%e5%ad%97%e5%90%8d.jpg and you can see the image.
In the access log it shows images/%e6%bc%a2%e5%ad%97%e5%90%8d.jpg and
200 which I assume means success.

A few other points
In Internet Explorer 5.5 entering either images/JA_NAME.jpg or
images/%e6%bc%a2%e5%ad%97%e5%90%8d.jpg succeeds so maybe IE converts
before requesting.
In Netscape(R) Communicator 4.7 Japanese version only
images/%e6%bc%a2%e5%ad%97%e5%90%8d.jpg will work.
If java is told explicity to load images/%e6%bc%a2%e5%ad%97%e5%90%8d.jpg
it will work.

My boss read on the internet about a module called mod_encoding for
non-ascii files however this seems to be for linux only.  I'm not sure
if there is a version for windows yet.  Does anyone have any information
about this.

It may seem to be a problem with java and URL encoding and could well be
however the fact that it works fine with IIS makes me wonder if there is
a way to get it working on Apache Win32.

I would appreciate any help or experience anyone can give.

Anthony

Details:
Apache/2.0.43 Win32
Windows NT (Japanese ) and Windows 2000 (Japanese)
Java Plugin 1.4 and 1.3

For future searchers of this and similar topics:
unicode filename
doublebyte filename
multibyte filename
japanesee filename