httpd-users mailing list archives

From "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 09:36:03 GMT

Gary Turner wrote:
> Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>>I am running RH version 8.0. I did a custom install and I installed
>>everything.
>

> Generally, better to install the bare minimum and then add the apps you
> actually want/need.  Much safer.  You might neglect a security patch on
> a running but unused and forgotten service.  Or, you may not have done
> needed hardening of configs.  Or, ....

RH8.0 (Psyche) has the tools to update ( or at least make known which
updates are security fixes) and mandrake, you mean debian doesn't have
this basic option? ;)

>>First of all I don't know what Xterm is, but I tried the
>>command in the shell after using su to make myself root.
>

> Xterm is simply a terminal emulator that runs in X Window.  Essentially,
> it is the same as a virtual terminal at F1-F6.
>

>>Here is the output I get from typing "service httpd start"
>>
>>[root@localhost /]# pwd
>>/
>>[root@localhost /]# service httpd start
>>bash: service: command not found
>>[root@localhost /]#
>

> I run Debian, myself, so some apps are differently named.  I think the
> command you likely want is "apachectl start" or maybe "httpd start".
> You can do "which <command>" (from root on system commands, or see "man
> sudo") to find out if the command exists and where it lives.  If it
> exists, do "man <command>" which brings up the manual page for the
> command. eg.;
>
> koko:/home/gt# which apachectl
> /usr/sbin/apachectl
> koko:/home/gt# exit
> gt@koko:~$ man apachectl
> (blah blah blah)
>

>>I am spending the entire weekend teaching myself more about the shell so
>>maybe I will know what things like the service command and Xterm are by
>>the time the weekend is over. :)
>

> Unlike that popular legacy OS, Gnu/Linux requires the single user to
> actually have a clue about what's under the hood.  You will need to do a
> *lot* of reading ;)
>
> Buy or read online "Linux Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition", AKA
> Rute.  This book should be required reading for anyone new (or not) to
> Gnu/Linux.  Mr. Sheer covers Red Hat type distros and Debian.  He does
> acknowledge the clear superiority of Debian (obviously a smart man :))

how can it be superior? 15 minutes to download the boot image for the
floppy...23 hours to download and install the os over the network. [
those were the times my broad band cable isp gave me when I went to look
at debian two months ago )

> See:
>
> http://www.icon.co.za/~psheer/book/index.html.gz (Chapter 36 for Apache
> stuff--I think this also available at Border's Books and online at
> Sourceforge--google is your friend)
>
> Other useful books/docs:
>
> http://en.tldp.org/LDP/lame/LAME/linux-admin-made-easy/  (tends to be
> Red Hat centric)
>
> http://www.dsl.org/cookbook/  (may already be on your machine in the doc
> section--it is included in the Debian docs package)
>
> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO.html
>
> For many more helpful docs, goto http://en.tldp.org/LDP, the Linux
> Documentation Project.
>
> Have a ball.

(though getting the three iso's for RH8.0 wasn't any faster than the
debian install, I couldn't afford for my system to NOT have an os for 23
hours, I could download an iso and still have system available for other
tasks.)