httpd-users mailing list archives

From Terra Novum <i...@terranovum.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:35:47 GMT
Yes, I can see it. Congrats. /var/www/html is where your docs are.
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf for more on where things are located. As it
stands now, you only have to type that each time you restart the
machine. To make this change permanent you will have to turn that
service on so that it executes upon boot. This is where I can't help you
and you will have to refer to the RH Docs I sent you a link for. The basics:
there is a system applet (program) in the gnome gui that will allow you
to do this the gui way. I do not use the gui so I have no idea where it
is or where it is located. The idea is that you need to have httpd run
when the system is in run levels 3 & 5. Likely only 5 since I would
imagine you have not changed the default run level. Type "man init" for
more info there.

Now, the way *I* (read: tread lightly) would do this is to "mv
/etc/rc5.d/K85httpd /etc/rc5.d/S85httpd". There is a whole world in here
for you to explore so google for "init rc.d how it works" and enjoy.
Good luck with learning linux. As I said there is a whole world in there
to explore and it is a trip to get to see how all the pieces fit together.
Later,
Tom

Paul O'Donnell wrote:

> Here is my output
>
> [root@localhost paul]# /sbin/service httpd start
> Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> [root@localhost paul]#
>
> After I did that I went back to test http://localhost/ in Mozilla and
> I got a "Test Page". Maybe you can see it at the following:
>
> http://24.102.194.139/
>
> I think this is good news. Does this mean I have to log in as root (or
> use su) and type that service command to get it up and running? Why
> did this not occur in a more ordinary way? I can't believe it works
> (if in fact it is working now). I was beginning to believe I would
> never get anywhere. Thanks so much.
>
> Paul
>

> Terra Novum wrote:
>
>> Alright. If you did a full install then service is there, you just
>> can't find it the short way because /sbin is not in your path. On my
>> RH8 it is in /sbin/service.
>> So prefix service with /sbin/ and go for it once more.
>> PS: shell is fine.
>>
>> Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Tom,
>>>
>>> Sorry about the last post everybody. I just clicked send before
>>> typing my reply.
>>>
>>> I am running RH version 8.0. I did a custom install and I installed
>>> everything. First of all I don't know what Xterm is, but I tried the
>>> command in the shell after using su to make myself root.
>>>
>>> Here is the output I get from typing "service httpd start"
>>>
>>> [root@localhost /]# pwd
>>> /
>>> [root@localhost /]# service httpd start
>>> bash: service: command not found
>>> [root@localhost /]#
>>>
>>> I am spending the entire weekend teaching myself more about the
>>> shell so maybe I will know what things like the service command and
>>> Xterm are by the time the weekend is over. :)
>>>
>>> Paul

I am
Red Hat

Personal