httpd-users mailing list archives

From Paul O'Donnell <odonne...@rogers.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 23:05:09 GMT
Here is my output

[root@localhost paul]# /sbin/service httpd start
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
[root@localhost paul]#

After I did that I went back to test http://localhost/ in Mozilla and I
got a "Test Page". Maybe you can see it at the following:

http://24.102.194.139/

I think this is good news. Does this mean I have to log in as root (or
use su) and type that service command to get it up and running? Why did
this not occur in a more ordinary way? I can't believe it works (if in
fact it is working now). I was beginning to believe I would never get
anywhere. Thanks so much.

Paul

Terra Novum wrote:

> Alright. If you did a full install then service is there, you just
> can't find it the short way because /sbin is not in your path. On my
> RH8 it is in /sbin/service.
> So prefix service with /sbin/ and go for it once more.
> PS: shell is fine.
>
> Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Sorry about the last post everybody. I just clicked send before
>> typing my reply.
>>
>> I am running RH version 8.0. I did a custom install and I installed
>> everything. First of all I don't know what Xterm is, but I tried the
>> command in the shell after using su to make myself root.
>>
>> Here is the output I get from typing "service httpd start"
>>
>> [root@localhost /]# pwd
>> /
>> [root@localhost /]# service httpd start
>> bash: service: command not found
>> [root@localhost /]#
>>
>> I am spending the entire weekend teaching myself more about the shell
>> so maybe I will know what things like the service command and Xterm
>> are by the time the weekend is over. :)
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> Paul O'Donnell wrote:

I am