httpd-users mailing list archives

From paul <odonne...@rogers.com>
Subject [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message
Date Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:40:14 GMT
Hi All,

I really am at a loss about how to solve my problem. I am completely new
to the Linux world. I just instatlled Red Hat Version 8.0. I am trying
to get apache up and running, but when I try to go to http://localhost I
get the following error message,

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost"

I've been searching all over the Internet for answers to this question.
I found plenty of posts to various forms about this error message, but
no solutions, at least not any solutions that I understand. First I
accepted the default settings for the apache http server, got that
message, and started to muck around with it for a few hours, only to
keep getting the same error message over and over again. Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated. I really don't know what I am doing. I was
able to install and play around the the Windows Personal Web Server to
allow me to experiment with Active Server Pages a couple years ago
without any trouble at all. Maybe I got lucky then.

Thanks,

Paul O'Donnell