httpd-users mailing list archives

From Terra Info <i...@terranovum.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question on mod_cgi
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 01:08:00 GMT
Ahh... It has changed then from 1.2 days.OK, one other question for the
list. Given the following background, is there anything mod_cgi does in
executing perl scripts that it would not neccesarily do for shell
scripts, binary executables et al;.

I am at my wits end with a bug and am trying to elminate things as
causes that normally I would not even think were probable. So you have a
better handle on why I am asking, I have a script that runs fine from
the cmd line under all parameter combinations, runs fine in most
situations under CGI but when a few param combinations occur it fails to
execute to completion. The odd thing is the place it hangs up is the
line before exit;. I added a warn('foo at line nnn') after every line
and it warns all they way to the line for exit; but never exists and
apache tells me that the script times out.  That combined with the fact
that the script, when executed on the command line, under a faked up ENV
that matches exactly what it gets from httpd runs flawlessly and to
completion everytime, seems to suggest something is happening in the
in-process handling of the CGI script. Does that problem lie in mod_cgi,
perl or in some funky interaction between components? I don't know yet.
Thanks,
Tom

Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Terra Info wrote:
>

>>I am debugging a particularly nasty issue right now on a perl script
>>that when written 2+ yrs ago worked fine. Within the last few months it
>>has begun to cause problems. Without getting into the details (yet) a
>>piece of information that I could use to assist in tracking down the
>>issue is:
>>Does mod_cgi pass output from the cgi executed to apache to output as it
>>comes or does it wait until the script is executed and then pass out all
>>info to apache which in turn waits for complete output before sending
>>out the response?
>>I seem to remember it being the former but maybe things have changed and
>>if so what version did these things change?
>>

>Most recent versions of apache dump cgi output onto the network pretty
>much as soon as the cgi script output it.
>
>Joshua.

Terra Novum Research
info@terranovum.com
www.terranovum.com
(617) 923-4132

PO Box 362
Watertown, MA 02471-0362

In time-keeping, in trading, in fighting, men counted numbers;
and finally, as the habit grew, only numbers counted.
       Lewis Mumford