httpd-users mailing list archives

From Issa Mbodji <issambo...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Protecting files in a directory
Date Sun, 26 Jan 2003 23:51:00 GMT

Thanks for the info, but I have a question:
When you say "look into .htaccess and .htpasswd files", does it mean that I have to create
the .htaccess file because I cannot see it. I am only seeing the .htpasswd file which I used
to create the passwords file where I stored all the usernames and passw. If I do have to create
it, should I just give the extension .htaccess or what and .htpasswd extension for the password
storage file?
Sorry, I am not a computer expert as you can notice.
Thanks. -

 Jeff Bert <soilentg@sgwebspace.com> wrote:Look into .htaccess and .htpasswd files.

.htaccess is the directory configuration file and it is put in the directory
you want to protect... Note it will also automatically protect all subdirs.
It should have the following information:

AuthUserFile /[full system path to your .htpasswd file]/.htpasswd
AuthName "[Prompt to be displayed in the pop up window]"
AuthType Basic
Require valid-user

.htpasswd contains username and encrypted password info. Create it using
the /usr/local/apache/bin/htpasswd command (your path may be different)

For more information look in your Apache web docs and man htpasswd.

Jeff