httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Vhost cleverness
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 12:15:13 GMT
Hi David,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 11:16:56AM -0000, Campbell, David wrote:
<--snip-->
> This means that we have 10 different virtuals.conf for the virtual hosts - a
> real pain to update.
>
> What I want to do is pass variables as part of the ServerAlias

As Rich mentioned, that's not a valid syntax for ServerAlias.  Generally
speaking, there aren't any variables available for interpolation within
config directives unless specifically stated in the documentation.

While the usage you're trying never occurred to me before, it is quite
novel and it's a shame it doesn't work so simply.  But that's not what you
wanted to hear.

I'd think your best bet would be to look at using the ServerPath directive.
It will lead to uglier URLs when access the VH on a specific server, but
if you're using this largely for administrative purposes it could be good
enough.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/examples.html#serverpath

Failing that, the standard answer is to use a preprocessor on the
configuration file and use that to generate the per-server configuration.
If you currently have an automated method of distributing the configuration
to each server, the additional step won't cause you any problems.

Cheers,

Zac