httpd-users mailing list archives

From Hugh Beaumont <hbeaum...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] start/stop scripts + problems with user spawned processes blocking server restart
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 19:12:12 GMT
--- Joshua Slive <joshua@slive.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Hugh Beaumont wrote:
> > We restart our servers every so often via crontab in order to reload
> > modified conf files, etc.  However it appears that if
> > a user has spawned a process from mod_php, cgi, etc. that the server will
> > not restart until those processes are killed off manually.
>
> If I remember correctly, this is a known problem that will be addressed in
> future versions of apache and php.
>
> One question: How are you restarting apache?  I would guess that this
> problem would go away if you used a graceful restart.

I believe we are using graceful restarts (will have to check as there are multiple scripts
that do
restarts depending on the circumstance).

However my understanding of graceful restarts is that this would actually prevent the restart
until all open connections have closed. In the case of a process spawned to listen on a port
the
process will never die (until we find it and kill it - almost always the result of a users
account
being compromised).

Or will graceful only keep open the single child httpd that spawned the process and restart
all
others?

Feel free to send me in the direction of any recent discussions on this issue (a list of keywords
to search the archive for would be fine - none of my keywords seemed to generate a small enough
result set for me to find relevent conversation).

Hugh