httpd-users mailing list archives

From Zac Stevens <...@cryptocracy.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Anyone know how to configure XBitHack?
Date Wed, 08 Jan 2003 01:42:48 GMT
On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 08:28:39PM -0500, Beauford.2003 wrote:
> am now farther behind than I was before I started.  Telling me to simply use
> 'XbitHack on' means absolutely nothing to me. I asked a simple question -
> how do I configure it.

Well that's the answer to your question.  If you want to enable XBitHack,
put "XBitHack On" in your config file.  Which context you place it in (main
server/virtual host/directory) will vary depending upon what you are trying
to achieve.

> If you can help, great, if not - then please just don't bother responding at
> all. Again. I apologize if I'm being abrupt here, but don't assume that
> because someone can't figure something out that they haven't read the manual
> or made an honest effort to get something to work.

You still haven't said what it is you can't figure out, or where you are
getting stuck.  There is nothing magical about XBitHack, and it follows the
same format as almost all other Apache configuration options.  Allow me to
go out on a limb, then, and assume that you don't know where to put this
directive and that this is the first time you've tried to work with the
Apache configuration files.

The following links give information on configuring Apache in general and
SSI in particular.  Once again, if you're having problems please specify
what they are so we can help.  All documentation is written by the
community, so if you think it can be improved I'm sure the docs team would
be happy to hear your suggestions.

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/configuring.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/howto/ssi.html

Finally, you might want to have a look at ESR's "Asking Questions the Smart
Way".  No-one is paid to help out on this list, so the easier you make it,
the more luck you will have in getting useful responses.

Cheers,

Zac