httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] OT - Linux
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 06:57:57 GMT
J. Greenlees wrote:

>Gary Turner wrote:
>> Ryan A wrote:
[...]
>>>I am already running a dual OS (win98 and win2k pro)
>>>Am thinking of loading/learning and running linux.
>>>
>>>I dont have a clue about linux [...]
>>

>> The key word is "read".  Go to http://www.tldp.org/.  That's the Linux
>> documentation Project.  You will find everything and more than you ever
>> wanted to know :)
>>
>> If your interest is driven by a desire to move your server to a modern
>> OS, Linux is an excellent solution.  I suggest Debian Woody (stable), a
>> rock solid distribution perfect for server operations.  For more on
>> Debian, see http://www.debian.org/.
[...]
>Gary,
>you know debian is aimed for people familiar with *nix already. ;)

I disagree.  My first experience with any *nix was Debian Potato.  I was
installed, configured, and running in under 2 hours.  *BUT*, I did read
the Debian installation manual plus a number of other books and articles
before I dumped Windows and made a fresh install.

It isn't rocket science.

>for trying a distro for learning purposes, mandrake's linux for windows
>where it is part of the filesystem in windows may be better for learning
>how to function in linux than being hit with debians much more technical
>install.

The current Debian configuration tools seem pretty good, what little
I've used them.  Others have told me that a newbie install is pretty
easy now. (Of course I thought it was not all that difficult before.)

>(how many people installing windows and using windows can rattle off
>every device on thier comp, and be able to pick the drivers out for
>install, which debian, freebsd, irix all really install best when you can?

Hell, I can't do that now.  I do know where to look for the info,
though.  Even a Windows admin should know that much.  Certainly an
Apache admin should know how their machines work and how the core of
*nices work.

--
gt                                kk5st@sbcglobal.net
You have a RIGHT to your opinion---even if it is crap.