httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Nelson, Robert D." <RDNel...@Mail.Donaldson.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] can't get virtual hosts to work
Date Fri, 03 Jan 2003 19:08:45 GMT
Emil:

> Calling http://localhost   gives me the FoxServ index.html page.
> Calling http://emil  or  http://emil.mshome.net gives me the
> my index page.
> Page not found when I try eib.emil or rcg.emil or son.emil

Ok, now I'm confused.  What's FoxServ?  Do you have the server names in your
DNS or hosts file?  What's this mshome.net?

> I then tried:
> NameVirtualHost 192.168.0.1
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.10>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.11>
> <VirtualHost 192.168.0.12>
> Calling http://localhost  or http://emil  or
> http://emil.mshome.net gives
> me the FoxServ index.html page.
> Page not found when I try eib.emil or rcg.emil or son.emil
>
> I then tried:
> NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1
> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
> <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
> Calling http://localhost  gives me the my index page.

Sounds right...

> Calling http://emil  or  http://emil.mshome.net  gives me the FoxServ
> index.html page.
> Page not found when I try eib.emil or rcg.emil or son.emil

Again, I don't know what this FoxServ is.  When you say "Page not found", do
you mean that you're getting a 404 page returned?

> Why do I seem to have 3 server names localhost on 127.0.01,
> emil and emil.mshome.net both at 192.168.0.1  ?

This sounds to me like you need to figure out how your name resolution is
working.  Your localhost should respond on 127.0.0.1.  If you have other
names that you want to answer on that IP, you'll need to add them to your
hosts file.  If you have names that you want to answer on a different IP,
you'll need to make sure they're set up correctly in your host file or on
your DNS server.  Either way, you need to set up one NameVirtualHost for
each IP and list the VirtualHosts for each IP underneath those.

 ~ Robert