httpd-users mailing list archives

From Lukas Kolbe <lu...@knup.de>
Subject [users@httpd] Many processes never leave Keepalive-state
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:18:50 GMT
Hi all!

I'm new to this list, but I ask directly because I never found a
solution to my problem (neither with googl'in around, nor compiling all
by myself or just disabling Keepalives' or other things).

I'm running a webserver with Debian-Linux 3.0, it's a P4 with 1GB RAM.
Apache 1.2.27.
On it runs a quite db- and php-expensive website.

The problem is that after a while, mod_status tells me that there are
e.g. "60 requests currently being processed, 10 idle servers". Out of
these 60 non-idle httpd's 4 are in W-state, and all other (!) in
K(eepalive)-state.
But most of the processes hanging around in Keepaliv-state have
processed their last request more than a thousands seconds ago (SS-field
in mod_status output).
Yep, my KeepaliveTimout is set to 5 seconds in httpd.conf.

And when the load get's higher on the server, more httpd's get startet
and somehow get stuck in Keepalive-state, each of them eating up aboud
10 to 40 Meg's of system-Ram, so at the end the server get's really
painfully slow until the kernel begins to kill procs because no memory
is left.

When I do an 'apachectl restart', the error.log says:

-- snip --
[...]
[Sat Jan 11 13:57:58 2003] [warn] child process 1600 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Sat Jan 11 13:57:59 2003] [warn] child process 1601 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[Sat Jan 11 13:57:59 2003] [warn] child process 1602 did not exit, sending another SIGHUP
[...]
-- snap --
and later
-- snip --
[...]
[Sat Jan 11 13:58:00 2003] [warn] child process 1600 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Sat Jan 11 13:58:00 2003] [warn] child process 1601 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[Sat Jan 11 13:58:00 2003] [warn] child process 1602 still did not exit, sending a SIGTERM
[...]
-- snap --

When I say 'Keepaliv Off' in httpd.conf, it doesn't change much, the
processes are hanging in (iirc) W-state.

I hope somebody out there can help me... this problem caused me much
pain, espacially 'cause of all the downtime.

Feel free to ask for other details, I just didn't know what to send
because I tried so much...

--
Lukas Kolbe <lucky@knup.de>