httpd-users mailing list archives

From Renato Salles <maill...@brturbo.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] "The connection was refused when attempting to contact localhost" error message
Date Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:38:07 GMT
Some basics of the command "su":

If you type: su + enter
You'll inherit the PATH the previous user had. But, if you type:
su - (su + "-")
You'll get the same PATH the superuser (root) has.
This is why some commands are found and others are not in the situations
described above. The command "service" seems to exist to some users like
root (where is it? in /sbin) and /sbin is not in the PATH of ordinary
users.
BTW, this is off-topic.

RSalles

On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 20:47, Paul O'Donnell wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Sorry about the last post everybody. I just clicked send before typing
> my reply.
>
> I am running RH version 8.0. I did a custom install and I installed
> everything. First of all I don't know what Xterm is, but I tried the
> command in the shell after using su to make myself root.
>
> Here is the output I get from typing "service httpd start"
>
> [root@localhost /]# pwd
> /
> [root@localhost /]# service httpd start
> bash: service: command not found
> [root@localhost /]#
>
> I am spending the entire weekend teaching myself more about the shell so
> maybe I will know what things like the service command and Xterm are by
> the time the weekend is over. :)
>
> Paul
>
> Paul O'Donnell wrote:
>
> > Terra Novum wrote:
> >
> >> Yeah, probably hasn't even started up yet. What do you see when you
> >> type "service httpd start" from the cmd (Xterm) prompt as root. Oh
> >> yeah, you need to do sysadmin stuff as root (administrator). If you
> >> are logged in as someone else type "su" and then enter the admin
> >> password you chose at installation. What RH dist are you using?
> >> Tom

Hat