httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jacob Coby" <jc...@listingbook.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Question on bin/rotatelogs
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2003 22:33:59 GMT
> I should have specified this was needed for hundreds of servers.

Umm, yeah :-)

Are these webservers clustered or can you combine all of their logs into one
big log and get meaningful data?  If so, mod_log_spread might do what you
want.

http://www.backhand.org/mod_log_spread/

> So, what I was hopefully looking for was something I can pipe the log into
> so it can log a days hits, then automagically log the next days hits into
> another log file. This will do away with my custom rotate script, and the
> random sleep script, and a script which grabs a days hits.

If the above doesn't help..

I don't know of anything pre-written that will do this.  In less than an
hour you could write a script or a C-program that does exactly what you
want.  As far as I can tell, the child processes send log entries back to
the master process, which either pipes them, in order, to an external
program (ie rotatelogs), or out to a file.  All you need to do is open
"access_log.mm-dd-YYYY" in append mode and write to it everything you get
from stdin :)

I'm pretty sure that mod_log_spread is configurable to log files from host a
to be logged to a different file than from host b.  Combine this with a
midnight cron job, and you've come pretty close to your goal.  You should
(hopefully) be able to stutter spreadlogd long enough to get your logs
rotated.

mod_log_spread would make sysadmin 1000x easier than managing individual
logs.

-Jacob