httpd-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Rick Bowers" <rbow...@surewest.net>
Subject [users@httpd] Connection Reset running Apache 2.0.43 on Windows XP
Date Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:14:41 GMT
I've recently installed Apache and started developing a simple website (no
PHP, etc).  Everything works fine when accessing files from the local
machine, but from all other machines I get incomplete html/gif/jpg files.

My "server"
Apache 2.0.43
Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1
HP Pavillion 780n (a great machine!)
Pentium 4, 1.8GHz, 512MB RAM
DSL network connectivity

I first noticed the problem when I tried accessing the above web server from
a win2k pc sitting right beside the server (on the same LAN hub).  Internet
Explorer said "the page is currently unavailable..."  At the bottom of the
error it said it couldn't find the server or dns error.  I was accessing the
server using it's STATIC ip address.  THIS TURNED OUT TO BE MISLEADING AND
IS NOT THE ERROR.

I then tried accessing it from a win2k box at work (via a web proxy,
firewall, etc).  I ended up with "most" of my home page (the bottom part was
missing), and missing and/or partial graphics.  One or two gifs were missing
entirely, a few were partially there -- but missing the lower half.  The
same for a jpg.

Apache Logs -- nothing relavent shown in the error log.  The access log says
it sends the correct byte counts.

I'm a software developer, so happened to have a sample Microsoft tool called
tear which is simply a command line tool that will use http to get
individual web pages.  It's not a web browser; it just gets a page and shows
the page's html source code (unformatted).  I tried running that from the pc
sitting right next to my server pc.  About half the time it gets the web
page just fine.  But the other times (trying to get the same web page) it
reports an error code 12031, "The connection with the server was reset."
In both cases, with and without the error being reported by the client, the
Apache access log shows it sent the entire web page (all bytes).

I then realized my server hosts the Apache documentation.  So I tried
looking at it from my neighboring pc.  And that seemed to work!  Looking at
the httpd.conf file I noticed they setup special directory "stuff" for the
documentation.  It looks like:

Alias /manual "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/manual"

<Directory "C:/Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/manual">
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews IncludesNoExec
    AddOutputFilter Includes html
    AllowOverride None
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

So I added this stuff for my directory -- and it kinda started working on my
pc on the same network hub.  Internet Explorer would show my pages.  But it
now behaves just like when I access the server from work -- incomplete pages
and graphics.  The Microsoft sample app mentioned above, tear, can still
sometimes get a page, sometimes it gets a connection reset error (same as
above).

So I went back and started surfing through the Apache documentation (from my
client to my server) that I thought was working.  It turns out I sometimes
get incomplete pages there too.

And again, the Apache access log shows it's sending all the bytes for all
file types (html, gif, and jpg).  No errors are reported in the error log.

=======================================

I found a forum thread showing the same problem on apache 1.3 on XP back in
December 2001.  They mentioned things got better with an "implicit_flush"
option.  I can't find reference to that in any Apache documentation.

Help!



---------------------------------------------------------------------
The official User-To-User support forum of the Apache HTTP Server Project.
See <URL:http://httpd.apache.org/userslist.html> for more info.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
   "   from the digest: users-digest-unsubscribe@httpd.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@httpd.apache.org


Mime
View raw message