httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Johan Eliasson" <ne...@nebol.dyndns.org>
Subject [users@httpd] Q: pw protect folder, no users, just pw
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2003 20:15:02 GMT
Hi!

I'm running the latest build of Apache 1.3 on a Win2K machine.
Most of my site is open for all, however one folder I want to password
protect.

I've read a little about it in FAQ's but it seems most solutions require a
list of users and passwords in a database of some sort. I don't want to keep
track of users and their passwords, and even though I have mySQL running on
my machine, I'd prefer not to use it, since that would require me to bring
mySQL along when I move the site to another machine.

I want just a single password check, no users. I don't need 100% security, I
just want to prevent web spiders from indexing the data, and stop casual
surfers from entering the folder. If some hacker breaks it, so be it. Let
him have the immense joy of browsing through my private photo collection...

I would like to present a simple page with an input box for password,
perhaps a little hint like "the password is the name of my daughter" so that
my friends and relatives easily can surf on in. And that would save me a lot
of phonecalls from my absent-minded mother.

A messagebox works too.
And I want the check to be done also if the surfer tries to go directly to a
file, not just on the start page.

I can code cgi's in C++. I know nothing about javascript, asp or php.

Please advise! :)

Best regards,
          Johan Eliasson.