httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Duncan" <cland...@mweb.co.za>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Error pages
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:01:09 GMT
My ISP's viewpoint when it comes to support or anything else is: we gave you
20mb for personal website now sod off!

I re-edited the .htaccess file in notepad and removed any and all extra
lines and spaces. And still it doesn't want to work.
If possible could you send me a .htaccess file with the errordocument line
in it maybe it's just me doing some wrong :-)

BTW in a .htaccess file could you put a
ErrorLog http://www.myisp.com/username/mysity-error_log.log
line in it or something close?

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua Slive [mailto:joshua@slive.ca]
Sent: 27 January 2003 23:49
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: RE: [users@httpd] Error pages

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Duncan wrote:

> Okay so this is what I did:
> C:\ copy con .htaccess
> ErrorDocument 404 /error404me.html
> ^z
>
> Then I uploaded this file to the my website.

That's not a good idea, overall.  You probably get DOS line-endings.  I'm
not sure how Apache would handle this.

> When I tried to access it I got
> a 500 error.
> I went back and changed the .htaccess file to this:
> ErrorDocument 404 http://www.myisp.com/username/error404me.html
>
> Now I can access my site but when I try an unknown page I get a 500 error.
> Does this mean my ISP doesn't allow me to have my own custom error pages?

Do you have access to the error log?  If not, you have a REALLY crummy
ISP.  You need to look in the error log to see what is going wrong.

The fact that it doesn't give an error on normal requests suggests that
you do have permission to use ErrorDocument.

Joshua.