httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Gareth Kirwan" <g...@thermeoneurope.com>
Subject [users@httpd] mod_vhost_alias,VirtualHost and Mason
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:58:37 GMT
I asked my first question in this forum yesterday and found the answers
extremely helpful.

I'm now looking at how to write a new httpd.conf - geared more to efficiency
and performance than I have before attempted.
I've already cut down a lot of the rubbish from the httpd.conf that used to
be in there that didn't apply to us.
I'm going to read through the performance tuning tips in the apache
documentation as well - but any tips anyone thinks are worthwhile would be
gratefully received.

We're running Apache 1.3.27, mod_ssl / mod_perl with Mason 1.16 on Linux (rh
8.0) with perl 5.8.

httpd.conf Extract:
NameVirtualHost 192.168.234.201
UseCanonicalName Off

<VirtualHost 192.168.234.201:80>
 ServerName v2b.thermeoneurope.com
 DocumentRoot /u/virtual/v2.thermeoneurope.com
 ErrorLog /etc/httpd/logs/v2_errors
 TransferLog /etc/httpd/logs/v2_access

 PerlSetVar SiteName v2
 SetHandler perl-script
 PerlHandler HTML::Mason
</VirtualHost>

Currently our httpd.conf looks like this. The mason handler creates an
handler based on the SiteName.
We've now got several more domains to set-up ... some of which will have
unique <VirtualHost> sections, others generic.

What I'd like to know is: Can I, and if so is it efficient, use a
VirtualDocumentRoot system as laid out by mod_vhost_alias to handle the
generic ones after laying out
the ones that are unique above.
After about 8 VirtualHost sections can I then say:

</VirtualHost>

VirtualDocumentRoot /var/virtual/%0/
PerlSetVar SiteName %0
SetHandler perl-script
PerlHandler HTML::Mason

I'm aware that in doing this these generic sites will have to use a common
log ... ( unless anyone can tell me if I could put a %0 in the CommonLog for
this ? )

Is there a better way of doing all this?

Thanks

Gareth Kirwan
Programming & Development,
Thermeon Europe Ltd,