httpd-users mailing list archives

From "Jeff Bert" <soile...@sgwebspace.com>
Subject RE: [users@httpd] Protecting files in a directory
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 00:29:28 GMT
Yes. You have to create the .htaccess file.  It's a text file with not
extension.  It tells the webserver where to look for the .htpasswd file.

Jeff
-----Original Message-----
From: Issa Mbodji [mailto:issambodji@yahoo.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2003 3:57 PM
To: users@httpd.apache.org
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Protecting files in a directory

Hello:
I am trying to follow your advices, but I use windows OS.
Does this line [tom@linux stats]$ cat .htaccess translates in win OS as the
path to the document (e.g. /apache/bin/passwords/ .htpasswd) Is the
.htpasswd required?
Thanks
 Mystery Admin <mysteryadmin@whatfantasiesmaycome.com> wrote:
Put this in an .htaccess file in the directory you want to protect:

[tom@linux stats]$ cat .htaccess
AuthUserFile /path/to/dir/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName "Restricted Area"
AuthType Basic

require valid-user

[tom@linux stats]$

Put this in your Apache config file:

AllowOverride AuthConfig
Options None

Restart Apache.

The above will take some massaging for Windows, but you should be tbe "jist"
of
what to do from above.

Good luck! :)

Peace...

Tom

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003 at 14:00:30, Issa Mbodji wrote:

> Hello:
>
> This is my first time and my knowledge of Apache is very limited. Here is
> what I am trying to do and would like to be helped: I have a folder
located
> in C:/apache/htdocs/htfiles and I want to protect it from users requesting
> anything from the folder htfiles without being authenticated. I have read
the
> literature, but I am confused. How do I protect that directory. And where
> exactly in the apache main configuration file should I put it to tell
apache
> about it. I guess I just want to see a detail example. Please note that I
> successfuly created the password file and it already contains username and
> passwords.
>
> I am running Apache 1.3.27 with mod_ssl and openssl
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Mame Issa Mbodji
> 3201 Weeping Willow Ct # 33
> Silver Spring, MD , 20906