httpd-users mailing list archives

From Gary Turner <kk...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] cgi process spawn error
Date Thu, 26 Dec 2002 01:20:30 GMT
Joshuah Goldstein wrote:

>Hello, I am trying to configure Apache, which I just
>downloaded today, for my winME computer.
>I am specifically having trouble getting the sample perl
>script to run.
>Here is the error:
>[Wed Dec 25 16:43:50 2002] [error] [client 127.0.0.1]
>couldn't spawn child process: c:/program files/apache
>group/apache/cgi-bin/printenv.pl
<snip>
>I made sure that the .pl extension was associated with
>Perl.exe and when I double-click on the .pl file in the
>windows folder it seems to run OK.

That only matters to your legacy OS, I think.  The script, itself, needs
to tell Apache how to run the script.  The extension doesn't matter.
The first line needs to have a hash-bang (or shebang) statement, eg.,
#!/usr/bin/perl on my machine (Debian Linux).  Were I running Apache on
my Windows box, (perish the thought) the line would be
#!/cygwin/bin/perl.exe.  It may need to use MS syntax, C:\cygwin\....

You may have a different problem, but since you didn't post the script,
and you say it runs outside Apache, this is a first thought.
--
gt           kk5st@sbcglobal.net
The advice is free, and worth every cent.