httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] expand mod_vhost_alias (whishlist to santa claus)
Date Sun, 08 Dec 2002 00:24:10 GMT

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 pilsl@goldfisch.at wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use mod_vhost_alias more extensive.  Additional to
> VirtualDocumentRoot and VirtualScriptAlias I would also have the
> Directives VirtualServerAdmin, VirtualCustomlog and VirtualErrorlog.
>
> Any way to achieve this with the current module ? (And cause I dont
> think so, I'd like to post this as a wish :)

For VirtualServerAdmin, I believe there is a bug-report/enhancement
request on this in bugzilla.  You can get similar functionality using
ErrorDocument to trap errors and designing the pages to report whatever
you want.

VirtualCustomLog is not really a very good idea.  It would involve way too
many file descriptors.  And it would encourage people to do silly things
like write logs to directories owned by non-root.  The better way to do
this is to include the name of the virtual host in the log file, and split
the log using an external program (either post-process, or thorugh a piped
log).

VirtualErrorLog has all the same problems of VirtualCustomLog.  But
unfortunately, it is not as easy to suggest a workaround, since there is
no consistent way to write the virtual host name to the error log file.

Joshua.