httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] HELP! Apache2 httpd.conf file ignored? SSI/htaccess problems
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 19:11:17 GMT

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Christopher Williamson wrote:

> HELP!  Everyone else seems to be getting replies but I didnt get any and our
> server is still broken.  Either no one knows (which I doubt) or I did
> something so blatantly stupid you dont want to embarass me.  Please, I am so
> desperately frustrated, I dont care, please help!

Sometimes things just get missed.  It is fine to repost if you get no
response within a day or two.  One clue: some people (including me) are
annoyed by people who post their entire config file.  It is a waste of
bandwidth, and a waste of time to find the important parts.  Just give the
relevant extracts.

> It sure looks to me like Apache2 is just ignoring my httpd.conf file in
> /usr/local/apache2/conf/ since I cant even get the .shtml to work (which
> should eliminate the XBitHack/permission/htaccess factor).  Any ideas why?
> Do the permissions need to be special on this file?  Is there any further
> way to figure out why Apache2 is ignoring my directives?  Am I just a bonehead
> about something in my httpd.conf file?

First you need to figure out where the problem is.

Step 1: Place a syntax error in httpd.conf (For example, just place a line
containing "ThisIsNotADirective".  Stop apache and try to restart it.  If
it doesn't fail with an error message, you know that the apache you are
running is not reading that config file.

Step 2: If you find that httpd.conf above is being read, try the same with
the .htaccess file.  This time, you don't need to restart the server.
Simply request a file in that directory and you should get a 500 error
with an appropriate message in the error log.

If step 2 also succeeds (ie, an error occurs), then I'll look closer at
your configuration.

Joshua.