httpd-users mailing list archives

From Joshua Slive <jos...@slive.ca>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess in win32
Date Wed, 04 Dec 2002 14:54:41 GMT

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Neil Freeman wrote:

> Trying to rename a file to .htaccess in Windows Explorer is not allowed,
> but you can save a file called .htaccess from Notepad.
>
> bulbultyagi@now-india.net.in wrote:
> > hello there
> > I am new to apache
> > how do I use .htacess files in win32 ?
> > windows refuses to let me create a file by the name .htaccess

That suggestion is fine.  A couple alternatives:

1. Find a program that does allow saving files with dot names.  Not all
windows programs are so stupid as to forbid this.

2. Use a different name for ".htaccess" files by setting the
AccessFilename directive.  For example,
AccessFilename ht.access
will allow you to use ht.access as the name.

Joshua.