httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] userdir doesn't work
Date Wed, 01 Jan 2003 00:35:46 GMT
On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Jerry Ford wrote:

> I can't get userdir to work on  a localhost install of Apache 1.3.27.
>  I'm using the same directives in httpd.conf that are in my live server
> installation, where it does work. (Red Hat Linux 7.1 on both boxes.)

> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
>     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
>     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>     </Limit>
>     <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Deny from all
>     </LimitExcept>
> </Directory>
>
> Works when I go to my home page on the live server; but when I try
> httpd://localhost/~jford on the localhost server, I get a Forbidden
> message---don't have permission to access /~jford on this server.

What does the error log say? The Forbidden message is the message that
goes to the browser, but the real error message is in the error log.

Make sure that the permissions on /home/*/public_html are such that the
'nobody' user can read and execute:

chmod 755 /home
chmod 755 /home/*
chmod 755 /home/*/public_html
chmod 644 /home/*/public_html/*

This will probably solve the problem, but check the error log anyway. It
could also be an Indexes problem.

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings