httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Identifying a session
Date Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:53:25 GMT
On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> > If you're thinking along the lines of htaccess login-type stuff,
> > you're out of luck, it doesn't involve a session of any kind on the
> > server, it's all controlled at the browser end, no SID is used or
> > needed.
> >
> However, by the browser based identification, there must be something
> like a hashed key, isn't it?  I mean, if my scripts get executed with
> a valie REMOTE_USER name, I can be sure that the user has correctly
> loged in, can't I?

Yes, if REMOTE_USER is set, you can be confident that the user correctly
made it through the authentication phase.

> Is there somewhere any good explanation how to program with cookies?

A cookie is just a means of setting a variable in a persistent manner.
You send a Set-Cookie header, and you receive it back again the next
time that the client visits. You use them as you would any other
configuration variable. Most CGI libraries, for various languages, have
some means of setting and reading cookies in a simplified manner. What
language are you using?

--
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org