httpd-users mailing list archives

From Rich Bowen <rbo...@rcbowen.com>
Subject Re: [users@httpd] Content Negotiation with <DirectoryMatch> in Apache 2.0.43
Date Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:33:58 GMT

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, imacat wrote:

>     I believe I did not found anything related to this problem.  Maybe I
> have missed something somewhere.

Since people got sidetracked, and nobody actually addressed your
question ...

>     I cannot do content negotiation with <DirectoryMatch> in Apache
> 2.0.43.  My testing httpd.conf is:
>
> imacat@rinse ~ % cat /etc/apache/httpd2.conf-test
> User nobody
> Group nogroup
> DocumentRoot /var/tmp/htdocs
> PidFile /var/run/httpd2.pid
> Listen 50080
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error_log
> Options +MultiViews
> DirectoryIndex index.html
>
> AddLanguage en          .en
> AddLanguage zh-tw       .zh-tw
> AddLanguage zh-cn       .zh-cn
> LanguagePriority zh-tw zh-cn en
>
> <DirectoryMatch /var/tmp/htdocs>
> </DirectoryMatch>

I'm a little confused here. You have Multiviews on for the whole server.
The empty DirectoryMatch section does not do anything at all. It does
not add to, or detract from, the content-negotiation setting. I'm not
entirely clear, from your description, exactly what is happening.

> imacat@rinse ~ %
>
>     My document root is:
>
> imacat@rinse ~ % ls /var/tmp/htdocs -l
> total 12
> -rw-r--r--    1 imacat   root          517 Dec 25 23:34 index.html.en
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 imacat   root           13 Dec 25 23:36 index.html.html -> index.html.en

This symlink will be explicitly ignored, since you don't have Options
FollowSymLinks turned on, as far as I can tell.

> -rw-r--r--    1 imacat   root          504 Dec 25 23:35 index.html.zh-cn
> -rw-r--r--    1 imacat   root          500 Dec 25 23:35 index.html.zh-tw

>     After starting /usr/sbin/httpd2 -f /etc/apache/httpd2.conf-test, and
> try to connect, I get:
>
> imacat@rinse ~ % lynx -dump http://rinse:50080/
>                                   Index of /
>
>      * [1]index.html.en
>      * [2]index.html.html
>      * [3]index.html.zh-cn
>      * [4]index.html.zh-tw

What Accept headers is lynx sending? What do the associated entries in
the access log look like?

>     This is strange.  It should display index.html.html.  And if I

No, it should not, because that file is a symlink. Add

Options +FollowSymlinks

and see what happens.

> comment out <DirectoryMatch>:
>
> imacat@rinse ~ % cat /etc/apache/httpd2.conf-test
> User nobody
> Group nogroup
> DocumentRoot /var/tmp/htdocs
> PidFile /var/run/httpd2.pid
> Listen 50080
> ErrorLog /var/log/apache/error_log
> Options +MultiViews
> DirectoryIndex index.html
>
> AddLanguage en          .en
> AddLanguage zh-tw       .zh-tw
> AddLanguage zh-cn       .zh-cn
> LanguagePriority zh-tw zh-cn en
>
> #<DirectoryMatch /var/tmp/htdocs>
> #</DirectoryMatch>
> imacat@rinse ~ %
>
>     And try again, I'll get:
>
> imacat@rinse ~ % lynx -dump http://rinse:50080/
>                                    Test Page
>
>    This is a test page.
> imacat@rinse ~ %
>
>     which is the correct answer.

OK, this makes no sense to me at all. An empty <DirectoryMatch> section
should not have any effect on the results at all. I probably need to
experiment with this some on my own server.

>     This had never happened before in Apache 1.3.x (at least in my
> experience).  I'm using content negotiation throughout my website, along
> with several <DirectoryMatch>.  I cannot switch to Apache 2 now for this
> reason.  This does not happen on <Directory> or <LocationMatch>.  It
> only seems to be a problem of <DirectoryMatch>
>
>     I don't know if anyone has noticed this, or if I have missed
> something in the Apache 2 documentation.  I have tried some search on
> the mailing list archives, but found nothing.  Can anyone give me a hint
> on this?  Or is it really a bug?

It is certainly not desired behavior. Try my suggestions, and I'll do
some experimentation on this end, now that I have some free time
available. I'll get back to you on this.

- --
Rich Bowen - rbowen@rcbowen.com
ReefKnot - http://www.reefknot.org